Saturday, March 19, 2011

Wold - Screech Owl (2007)


I am a horrible slacker and have not kept up with this blog, partly because I just got waaaay too much new music at once, got overstimulated, and had to go back to old favorites.

I gave this Wold record a listen primarily because it was on so many best of lists. If I've learned anything from those lists it's that 90% of the time I absolutely disagree with them, but I actually really loved this record. I've been listening to a lot more noise lately and this is one of the many black metal/noise hybrid projects out there. It's basically two or three dudes from Canada (and their computers, I'm sure) who have been around for about a decade. "Screech Owl" is their second full length and was released by Profound Lore.

This is obviously not for everyone. I feel like if you already listen to noise, you know a lot more about it than I do and already have your own opinions about this record. If you don't, there's a good chance you'll hate me for recommending it. It's harsh, hateful, and experimental enough to keep me interested. I don't really see a lot of the musical associations with black metal, but I can see how black metal fans would like it. Fans of Ildjarn and more ambient black metal should check it out. (Ambient, not shoegaze!)

I wish they would have a little more variety in the vocals or at least the vocal mix, but other than that I don't have many complaints. "The Field Hag" is my favorite track and is the most song-like, though the album has to kind of hit its stride before it gets interesting, so give it a little time. I'm not even going to pretend that I have any idea what he's screaming about, but I'm sure it has to do with the freezing wastelands of Saskatchewan.

Tracklist:
1. An Habitation of Dragons and a Court for Owls
2. Ray of Gold
3. So That No Sword May Strike Him Down
4. The Field Hag
5. Nervosa
6. Windmill
7. December Eve
8. This is How I Know
9. Gather Under Her Shadow
10. A Sword Becomes Red With Fury
11. Screech Owl
12. I'm the Chisel
13. Undying Fire of Urian

If this sounds like your thing, listen here and then buy it, you cheap bastard. Also visit them on myspace or their website.

No comments:

Post a Comment