Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Immolation - Dawn of Possession (1991)


New York death metal band that has become a staple of the scene, particularly for fans of old school style death metal. It's crazy to think that they've been steadily putting out albums for twenty years now...

"Dawn of Possession" is their first full length and was released by Roadrunner (before they pussed out and dropped all their death metal acts). It was later reissued and remastered by Metal Minds. Currently they're on Nuclear Blast and are still actively touring.

This is certainly technical death metal, complete with some awesome guitar riffs that are perfectly paired with complex drumming and, thankfully, lots of rhythm changes. Though there is nothing specifically about it that I object to, it's a little boring. I'm sure if I had a chance to hear it in the early '90's I would be blown away, but I prefer more recent, experimental death metal. I wouldn't go so far as to say that I don't like it or wouldn't recommend it, but I would put Autopsy or Incantation first. Also, I prefer death metal in the summertime for some weird reason, so I'm sure when I revisit it in a few months I'll think this review is insane. This is definitely a classic death metal album and chances are if you like old school death metal, you probably already know all about it. If not, get on it.

Track list:
1. Intro Everlasting Fire
2. Despondent Souls
3. Dawn of Possession
4. Those Left Behind
5. Internal Decadence
6. No Forgiveness (Without Bloodshed)
7. Burial Ground
8. After My Prayers
9. Fall in Disease
10. Immolation

Visit them on myspace, facebook, twitter or their webpage, and definitely listen here. For some reason I think it's hilarious when old school metal bands have twitter pages, though it seems to be run by the label. Also, what the hell is going on with this cover? And with the font?

2 comments: