Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Ad Noctum - Jus Primae Noctis/Excellence of Supremacy (2004)


Split up black metal band from Denmark. First full length that is basically a compilation of two earlier demos from '99 and '00, released on Ancient Darkness. It also why there's a dual title, even though that kind of gets on my nerves. On one hand, it's a little dishonest to create a new name for a record that is basically a compilation of two other records, though lots of metal bands do it when they compile demos.

I'm not sure what to say about this record. It can be loosely described as black metal, but... I don't know what it really is and I think that's the major problem. There are so many different elements mixed in that the record has no real direction. The primary vocals are reminiscent of At the Gates, but there are also bizarre female vocals mixed in - not in any traditional cheesy atmospheric black metal way, though. I don't know what to make of them. There are also some fucking weird piano breakdowns...

I don't hate this album, but I just can't get into it. Mostly because of my total lack of comprehension of what's going on. They obviously know how to play their instruments and it is well recorded, but sounds too pristine for trash lovers like me.

Track list:
1. Excellence of Supremacy
2. Fog of Damnation
3. Silentium Diabolis
4. Dodsvandring
5. Satans Son
6. Apoptosis
7. Jus Primae Noctis
8. Civilisatan
9. Smerten I livet
10. Hadet til lyset
11. Die in Fire (Bathory)
12. Deathcrush (Mayhem)

Visit their myspace page. Listen here. I can't say it's recommended, but it definitely is intriguing.

No comments:

Post a Comment