Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Om - Pilgrimage (2007)


Leaving the well-charted waters of black metal is always difficult for me, but I try to do it from time to time. Om is a stoner/doom/experimental band from California and, if you don't already know, is made up of two of the members of stoner/doom band Sleep.

This is a really hard review for me to write. First of all, I don't think this is metal. It's stoner rock, which puts it securely outside of my realm of interest/knowledge. It's hard for me to give the album a bad review, because it would be based solely on the fact that I don't give a shit about this kind of music.

"Pilgrimage" is third full length Om album and was produced by Steve Albini, which weirds me out a little. It's also the first and only Om release on Southern Lord. It got great reviews, which means that they're obviously doing something right. Yes, it is relaxing and beautiful, but I feel like I should be meditating or doing yoga. As it happens, I can't really listen to music while doing either of these things (when I work up the motivation to do them), so listening to music that makes me feel like I *should* be meditating just annoys me.

Fans of weirder folk music will like this - Current 93, later Swans, Death in June, etc. Certainly also fans of psychedelic, stoner music in general will love it and it reminds me of certain Pink Floyd albums. (Oddly, I really like the later Pink Floyd it reminds me of.)

Om is one of those bands I want to like, but will never listen to of my own accord (other than to reassess/review). There is nothing in particular I object to about this band or album, it just doesn't move or excite me enough to put it on regularly. I think I'm just not patient enough. Also, I hate the vocals.

Track list:
1. Pilgrimage
2. Unitive Knowledge of the Godhead
3. Bhima's Theme
4. Pilgrimage (reprise)

I suspect I would like this a lot more if I did waaaay more drugs than I do now. In fact, I would probably be a much happier person if I did a lot more drugs, but fuck that. I will sit alone in the dark and listen to Dissection any day. Chances are many of you will like and enjoy this album, so feel free to ignore my grumpiness. Check them out on their homepage, their myspace page, and check out the record and decide for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment