Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Megiddo - The Devil and the Whore (2000)


Megiddo is a Canadian black metal band (with some thrash elements) usually described as a highly successful throwback to the classica black metal of the early '90's. I feel like that's a little unfair, because they formed in 1995, in Canada. They are still active (thought they haven't released anything since 2003) and are on Barbarian Wrath.

They're all about Satanism, like basically everything else I listen to. "The Devil and the Whore" is their second full length and was put out by Barbarian Wrath, limited to 666 hand-numbered copies. It's been re-released a couple of times: once on CD and twice on vinyl by More Fucking Hate and Black Ace Records.

It's definitely classic black metal, inspired by Bathory (especially in the vocals). The drums are pretty thrashy, but for the most part it's mid-tempo. I really like it, but it's hard to wade through the polarized reviews. It's not a perfect album, but I don't know why some people are so offended by the "retro" sound. My biggest criticism is that there are two covers on the album. Covers on full lengths ALWAYS rub me the wrong way, regardless of how successful they are. Put them on a fucking EP, but why in the name of Satan would you put two covers right before the atmosphere-heavy outro? It doesn't make any sense.

Overall "The Devil and the Whore" is catchy and accesible. Surprisingly, it would be a really good way to ease someone into black metal. (Though that statement makes me a little nauseous, even as I type it - black metal shouldn't be trendy or easy and I hate bands that attempt to make it so. That is obviously not Megiddo's intention.)

Track list:
1. The Devil and the Whore
2. Blackened
3. The Oath
4. Slaying the Nazarene
5. The Heretic
6. Blackened (The Circle Complete)
7. Across the Shores.../Four Suns
8. Violence and Force (Exciter cover)
9. Take this Torch (Razor cover)
10. Outro

They don't seem to have a homepage or a myspace page, which I like. I definitely recommend "The Devil and the Whore" as long as you like classic style black metal and don't mind a bit of rehashing (which I clearly do not). Listen here!

No comments:

Post a Comment